As part of my training with the Coast Guard, I had to be OC pepper sprayed this past week and let me tell you it’s an experience I’ll never forget.
The Coast Guard does this so that we can learn what OC Spray feels like, since we are armed with it. That way if we ever use it on someone as a means of protecting ourselves, we know what we are subjecting others to.
Since many people will not be pepper sprayed in their life let me detail the experience for you in terms of other sensations you might have felt on your life.
Being Pepper Sprayed is Like:
- Bobbing for apples in a grease fryer
- The hottest buffalo sauce at Buffalo Wild Wings fresh out of the sauce pan poured on your face.
- Having each layer of your skin peeled off slowly
- Ironing your face. Literally just an iron. On your face.
- Ghost pepper mixed with Clorox bleach painted on your face by Picasso for three hours
In other words,it hurts very badly.
Here’s what we looked like three hours after being OC sprayed:
“Leah and Becky after Pepper Spray 2016”
I would never recommend that you go out of your way to be pepper sprayed, but I was thoroughly changed by the experience. Knowing your body’s pain limits or finding the amount that you can take and still be functional was a great leap for me in self discovery. Many of us are blissfully unaware of what we are capable of until we test our limits and that was the case here as it is with the many trials of life.
That’s all for now! Continue on your merry ways.