Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme by The Broke and the Bookish, where they give you a topic and you post your top ten favorites. You can read more about it here. This week is Villain themed, so I decided to do my Top Ten favorite Villains of all time. Most of these will be from books, but I have included some others to make a comprehensive list. Let’s do this.
Leah’s Top Ten Most Compelling Villains:
1. Dorothy in Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige: To see a hero turn bad is a truly terrifying experience.
2. DeMalo from the Dust Lands Trilogy by Moira Young: The thing about DeMalo is that he’s still kind of a mystery to us. I consider him to be an antagonist.
3. Billy Dent in the Jasper Dent Series by Barry Lyga: Imagine your father is the most infamous serial killer of all time. Billy and his logic scared the hell out of me.
4. Jude Lowe in the Mara Dyer series by Michelle Hodkin: Jude is just plain scary, because all of us know a creepy guy, but he takes it to a whole new level.
5. King Leck from Graceling by Kristen Cashore: After reading Fire, King Leck’s true origins made him more real to me.
6. Mayor Prentiss from Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness: This guy gave me the creeps. Especially his just blatant cruelty.
7. Chloe from Truly, Madly,Deadly by Hannah Jayne: I didn’t see her coming, did you?
8. Voldemort from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: This one’s a classic, but I feel like we all have a small amount of sympathy for the Dark Lord.
9. Bellatrix Lestrange from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: She’s a real piece of work, but I wonder exactly how much of it is from her upbringing.
10. Maeve from the Throne of Glass Trilogy: Maeve isn’t as evil as she is, ruthless and cunning. In her mind, I am sure she is doing everything in her power to remain in charge. Her warped perception of her actions, probably due to the immortality thing, is what makes her a good antagonist.
Are any of these your favorite Villains? Who’s the ultimate antagonist? Are we all just villains who think we are heroes?
Tell me your thoughts.